Fall 2016

Fall 2016

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Let Me Bring You Up To Speed.

Well, it's been a while since I have been on here. I have to apologize, but it is summer and life is hectic. We come home from one rodeo long enough to do laundry and head out again. It has rained off and on all week. If it isn't raining, I am mowing.

Last Friday was Jessie's track meet at school. Now there is some excitement. All four of the first grade girls competed against each other, and I was their fearful leader. When I finally snapped on one at the high jump for telling the other one she was always the loser, the teacher came over to see what was going on. I assured her all was well with the world it was just a little bickering amongst the girls. She looked at me understandingly and said "I like to call it the hyena gene." Regardless, we survived. Jessie brought home lots of ribbons. She tied for first in the high jump and I think she won the ball throwing contest. Her high jump technique is one that olympians should adopt. It was priceless. There were people lined up around to watch. Of course the pole was right at the top of the mat, so that made it even more funny.


We were in Marwayne on the weekend for the rodeo. Jessie took her horse and we camped out like real stock contractors would. Poor Legend was sick and tired of trotting up and down the arena with a wannabe trick rider on his back. He handled it quite well though. If I had only known that my barrel horse was the perfect kid horse, I wouldn't have spent real money on Jessie a new horse that happens to be crippled right now. What is it they say? "If it weren't for bad luck....."

I secretaried the bucking bull derby on Thursday night. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to do that, especially if their husband is a contractor. Most people have terms of endearment for each other like Honey, Dear, Babe. Not here. I'm sitting in the announcer stand, and hear "Wife! What the hell just happened there?" I stepped kindly out of the back of the announcer stand and we proceeded to have a bit of a domestic due to the lack of communication between the ground crew and myself. You see, they drew the second round without letting me in on it. That is usually something the secretary needs to know. He was just lucky I didn't feel like limping down the stairs and beating him with his yellow hotshot he was waving all over the place.

The rest of the week has been kind of a blur. I remember mowing a lot and framing lots of pictures. I even did some of them twice after it rained in the shop one night. I'm considering medication for the twitch I have due to the lack of anything going right.

We bucked a few bulls on Tuesday night between rain storms. Kelly has found a new, young victim who can be talked into getting on young bulls. I'm sure the novelty will wear off for him like it has the others.

Kelly went to reading log on Wednesday because I was busy trying to get some pictures done for this weekend. He said Jessie's teacher makes him look at the floor when she speaks to him. Now this is funny. He did get in trouble for wearing his cap in the classroom the first time he went. I'm surprised he even went back.

Jessie and I helped gather bulls this afternoon. Jessie headed out and was right in after them. I had to head off to get one that was trying to sneak away, and she held in there and pushed the others like she was supposed to. I had to tell her a few times to back away. If one even sneezed within ten feet of Legend, he would spin and head out. I'm pretty sure this would not go over well with his new jockey. However, he's not to blame. He has had a few close calls in his life.

Speaking of close calls. You will all be glad to know that the blood is slowly moving down my leg and settling into my ankle. The swelling isn't as bad this week. Kelly made the comment that maybe in a couple of weeks I wouldn't look like I have gangrene. Nothing but compliments around here.

Tomorrow, Jessie and I get to go to the Royal Tyrell Museum for a field trip. This is a world renowned museum. It contains a huge collection of dinosaurs. Jessie is very excited. I actually am interested to see it as well. We also get to visit Reptile World. I will get pictures posted sometime in the next six months I'm sure.

So, now that I have everyone up to speed on the trials and tribulations of being an Armstrong this week, I need to get some sleep. Oh and I am posting some pictures in a slide show because I was having trouble getting them on here. They are of Jessie's High Jump, her and Legend, and some of my latest creations.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Love the high jump pictures! And dont you just love a hubby who knows how to pay great compliments!! Man, we are loved :)

Anonymous said...

She inherited that high jump technique from her aunt! Obviously I didn't participate in the high jump in jr. high track because that technique is not allowed, but I would practice with them, and I was able to clear 5 ft. that way! I could've been a big star because that height placed at all our meets!