Fall 2016

Fall 2016

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

April Showers Bring May Flowers, but.....

What do you think April blizzards bring? Well, let me just tell you. Actually I won't because I might sound bitter if I do.

It started snowing here on Friday. It quit yesterday at lunch. Not nice. This wouldn't be all that bad if it was just snow. However, add to that a gale force wind, and you pretty much make my life miserable.

Of course, Kelly left here for Dawson Creek on Thursday with everyone commenting on how beautiful the weather was. I informed everyone that winter wasn't over until Kelly came home from Dawson. You see, this is usually when we are well into calving. It never fails to snow on this weekend b/c I am home alone. Friday morning the temperature dropped to -17 and the snow started. I started packing the barn. In went the 37 year old horse, a Holstein, and a cow with twins. I went to bed the cows out in the pasture and feed. When I came back to check on my barn crew, the pot bellied pigs were buried in the straw in the barn with a Holstein cow threatening to kill them. I shut the door and went to the house. So, on Friday night, Jessie and I got to take bulls to a bull riding about 15 miles from here. Of course, I didn't get left with the A string, so I was a little nervous. We made it through without incident. They only rode one, so I was proud of my flanking abilities. Nothing ran. That is a plus. Because, somehow, even though I got sent with the absolute worst bulls on the place, it would have been my fault if something didn't buck.

The weather did not improve all weekend. We got more snow out of this storm than we had all winter. It is insane. Kelly is removing most of the animals from the barn today with exception of the Holstein, who is now raising one of the twins and another beef calf. Luckily, she loves all babies. It's almost unbelievable how well she has taken them. This cow is definitely worth my trip to the Hudderite colony drinking instant coffee with ten Hudderite women dressed in black staring at me. All the while I'm trying to make conversation and decipher the broken English.

Kelly did have a near death experience in the barn. I hate that I wasn't there to see it, because it was caused by Piglet who was not wanting to give up his place in the barn to a new cow. Apparently the cow, with a brand new baby, did not like the pig, so she started hooking the pig who ran to the gate Kelly was holding. By the time it was all said and done, Kelly and the pig were both squashed between a gate and the fence with the cow trying to kill the pig. I have got to install barn cameras. Kelly kicked both pigs out of the barn. He was not impressed. I think this is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. He was kind of chuckling by the time he told me about it.

Jessie had her dress rehearsal last night. They are all so cute. I do have pics, but for some reason I can't add them. I will try that later. She is very excited about the recital Saturday.

That is all I know for now. The sun is finally shining today. I'm hoping the forecast of flurries for the next few days dissipates. I don't think I am mentally stable enough to take anymore snow. I know my husband isn't.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Thanks for the new post! I am not sure I could endure the blizzards in April. I love the SPRING time too much! Glad you are well... hope to see the recital pictures soon.