Fall 2016

Fall 2016

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Another Boring Week on the Ranch!

Well, we successfully made it through another week. A successful week here, is nobody dies, nobody gets hurt. Okay, never mind, with the exception of one bull, we had a successful week. One of the bulls pinched a nerve last weekend. We've tried every thing to get him up, but the prognosis isn't good. Of course, it is always the good ones.

After I overheard a phone conversation between Kelly and a friend a few days ago, I have decided that the Armstrongs should establish a color coded "Danger Threat System" like the one the US uses for levels of terror threat. Kelly was asking a friend to come over and help lift the injured bull up with the front end loader and rig some apparatus to keep him on his feet. Kelly was telling him the danger threat was moderate to high, and he felt like it would test the strength of his marriage. He was probably right. I feel like we should hang a sign out at the road with the color coded system. If it is green come on in. Yellow or Orange, you might see some excitement. Someone might get chased or bucked off, you could get to rope something, and chances are high of seeing a marital dispute. If the red is posted, I suggest you drive on by. Don't even slow down. Dare not wave or acknowledge you know who lives here.

At a threat level of orange, I made the mistake of going to the pens the other day while the boys were tipping bulls. Kelly told me to go open a gate and let a bull down the alley, so I did. I walked right down the alley thinking that I could walk past a bull threatening to get me. I thought he was bluffing. I was way off. He hit the fence about the time I fell over the top rail. However, being the athlete I am, I landed on my feet on the other side, only to get snot blown in my face. Kelly was doubled over howling. Because short of being killed or mauled, everything is funny here as long as it isn't happening to you. Kelly made the comment that if he got me, I just had to stay on my feet because his horns point down. If he ever got me down, then I would be in trouble. I assured him I wouldn't find myself in that position.

Jessie has been busy getting ready for her ballet recital. She has been practicing hard, and got to try on her costume the other day. It is very cute. Her recital is on the 26Th. Kelly is going to be gone to a bull riding, so he is quite disappointed. The grandparents are also going to the bull riding. I'm going to have to play the part of makeup artist, stylist, videographer, photographer, and whatever other chores that come with being a "dance mom." Can't you just see that? I'm really worried about putting makeup on her and fixing her hair. We need "Saucy" to live a little closer. I can't even do those things for myself.

She also starts baseball this week. She is pretty apprehensive about it. She thinks that the games she plays in are going to be like the ones Chase pitches in. I have assured her there won't be any screaming crowds, much less more than 10 people between the ages of 8 and 80, or TV cameras.

That is all I know for now. Sorry there are no pics this week. I'm not sure what I was doing without the camera. Good thing I didn't have it with me. It might have gotten broken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Robyn!
Your Mom sent us your blog and I've sure enjoyed reading it. You all live an interesting life, it is ANYTHING but boring!! :) I LOVE YOUR BARN!! I collect barns (obviously, not barns as big as yours). There is an old stone barn around the Stephenville area that I'd love to turn into our home. But...it's not for sale, so there goes that idea.
I remember the last time I saw Jessie. When we left your parent's house, she and I were doing water colors. Your Mom was so excited (not really) that I had opened the box of paints and gotten her started on it. It Was sort of a messy project, but we were having fun! :)
James and I are still alive and well and living in Tyler, TX hoping to make a trip to Vernon before long to see everyone..maybe in June. It's been too long!
We have 2 grandchildren now. My son, Ben, has a 20 month old girl named Trinity Lynn and James daughter, Anna, JUST had a little boy and they named him Scott Alexander.

Take care!
Love,
Sherry Wright