Fall 2016

Fall 2016

Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!






Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone. Sorry it has been so long. I have been busy. Kelly was gone for the weekend and Jessie and I were left to calve out heifers. We have three so far and only one more to go. The rest of the cows won't start calving until the middle to end of April. Hopefully, the Spring snowstorms will be over by then.

The weather was beautiful and reaching into the 50's. However, the snow rolled in on Saturday night and we got 4 inches and the temp dropped to about 7F for a high. I spent a lot of time coaxing cows and babies into the barn.


Kelly drove into the yard yesterday, and I washed my hands of the whole lot for the day. Jessie and I took the day off. Of course, Jessie's job was to wander into the pen and pet the new babies every once in a while. She has named two of them Easter and Lily. She is still deciding on the third name. These are pretty sweet and innocent names for what they are going to grow up to be. At three days old, Lily scissor kicked me in the knee cap and then turned around and started hooking me. She was bellaring quite loudly as she did this. I had a dog trainer call the other day to let us know she had a dog a month away from being ready and she is related to our old dog that we had to put down last winter. After a week alone with cows chasing me up the fence, I called her back and told her I would take it. Kelly has yet to recover from the shock of a new dog and the cost, but I'm quite positive he will get over it. It is a dog or a hired hand.


We had our last hockey game on Saturday. After wrestling with calves all day, I was exhausted and very sore after it. We did end the season with a two game winning streak and a borrowed goalie. Flat Stanley got to go on one last Canadian adventure before he gets mailed back to Texas.




We went into town for Cowboy Church yesterday. Linda, Lori, and I were the entertainment. As always, Linda gave a great sermon and we survived the musical part of it. Somehow someone decided we needed amps and microphones. We don't. None of us are smart enough to work any of that. We put in a good effort though and decided we need a sound man. We have another Cowboy Church to play at on April 1. However, I am leaving for Texas tomorrow and not coming back until the 31st. They assure me that it will all be okay. I don't need to practice. Yeah right!!
Well, I better head to town. I have a lot to do before we fly out tomorrow. Have a great day!!




No comments: