Fall 2016

Fall 2016

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hello!

Well, we have had a busy week around here. We rented the arena in town on Monday and Tuesday to dummy buck some bulls. Wednesday, I went into town to Jessie's class for reading log. They read different levels of books and before they move on to the next book, they have to read it to an adult. It is always an interesting day. Last week there was a sub. I'm quite sure that lady has since retired. Jessie is in a 1st and 2nd grade split class, so it does get interesting. One little girl was tattling on another for saying the "F" word. There were lots of tears and yelling between the accused and the accuser and silence amongst the spectators. It was great. However, it is killing me to know what the "F" word is in first grade. I am quite sure that the accused has no idea what the real "F" word is. My child maybe, but not this one. I am scared to ask Jessie for fear of what she might say. With Jessie's lifestyle, she has the knowledge of a cowboy, stock contractor, and a trucker. It is quite scary.

Kelly was supposed to fly to Dallas yesterday for a bull futurity, but his flight out of Calgary was cancelled due to weather conditions in Dallas. Now, we find this hilarious. Sarah had called and said they cancelled her school on Friday. Jessie has to go to school until the temperature hits -30C. This cannot include the windchill. I believe she has missed two or three days this winter.
Anyways, Kelly returned home yesterday morning after a brief trip to Calgary.

While Kelly was away, Jessie helped clean the house. She also came out to help me put our recip heifers in the barn for the night. I told her not to stand in the middle of the pen and to keep her head up. She quickly let me know, "Mom, they are heifers not bulls. They aren't gonna get you." Not five minutes later and a few laps around the pen, I got snot blown at me. By the time I got them in the barn and sorted, I was crawling along the tops of gates to get them chained.

Today, we are headed into town for a barrel race and team roping jackpot I was volunteered to help with. I get to bartend from 5 this afternoon to 2 in the morning. It is a benefit dinner as well. It should be lots of fun. I don't know if I can stay up until 2 am though.

So, such is life around here. It is warm. Yesterday, I believe it was 39F. The sun finally has some heat to it. This weekend is supposed to be +10 and 12 C. We love the days on the positive side of the scale. There will be no snow left in a few days. I'm sure that March or April snow storm will rear it's ugly head at some point. With any luck, it will happen before we start calving.

Hope all is well in your world.

1 comment:

Betsy Harkey said...

Hi Robyn,
I thought I posted while ago, but it did not go through so I will repeat myself.
I remember when some Canadian rodeo guys taught Logan a few words that I am sure he would have loved to try out at school except he was only about THREE. You are very wise to not ask Jessie the definition, but I would love to hear her answer. If you are every brave enough to ask her...Call me collect!!!
By the way, I still think you should be writing a book or for a magazine or something. Your blogs are wonderful!
Stay warm,
Betsy