Fall 2016

Fall 2016

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Road Goes On Forever......

As per usual around the Armstrong hacienda, something has to go wrong. Thankfully, yesterday, it didn't go as wrong as it could have. Kelly and I got up and sorted bulls so he could begin his 14 hour trip to Kamloops, B.C. Jessie and I opted out of that. He left here at 8:30. At 10 I get a phone call. I've been in a wreck, I'm okay the truck is @#$%ed. Someone crossed the center line in a minivan and hit the truck right under the door then bounced back and hit another SUV. Miraculously the driver of the van, after being flown away from the crash, only has a concussion and some broken ribs. Everyone else is fine. One bull had to come home. He is still up and around this morning. We are not sure what is wrong with him, but he definitely has a problem. Kelly borrowed a truck from a friend who came to the crash. He hooked on to his trailer and hauled the bulls to an auction mart to unload. Finally, at 4:30 yesterday afternoon, he left. He said they got there at 5:30 this morning. Needless to say, we have something to be very thankful for today. Kelly definitely had a guardian angel with him yesterday. As for the Freightliner, I believe she is going to pass on to truck heaven. She will be missed by all.
Kelly gets home Monday. We are hoping to leave Wednesday for the NBBA finals in Fort Worth. I'm working on all the paperwork to get the bulls across the border and trying to get my paperwork done for my permanent resident card that I have to carry to cross the border and not get deported. It expires in November, and I should have done this a long time ago. It isn't a quick process. I'm mailing them my itinerary for our flights in December in hopes it will give them some incentive to get it done in less than their usual time frame. Jessie cried and said she's not going when I told her we had to drive to Texas. This is going to be a pleasant trip. We have to make it straight through because there isn't too many places to unload bucking bulls between here and there. Jessie is also missing the first week of school. Not good, but such is life.


Jessie is going to Saskatchewan with her grandparents this weekend. Kelly's sister turns 40 and our niece is trick riding at a rodeo, so the whole family is gathering in Maple Creek. I get to stay home and care for an injured bull and try to get packed to head south.


Jessie's friend, Hailey had a tea party for her birthday the other day, so the girls all dressed up and put on their jewels and went for a tea party. They looked beautiful and had a great time. It was so good that they called that night to ask if they could sleep over. Jessie and her best bud Raina showed up at noon the next day looking exhausted and still wearing the party dresses.
That is all I know for now. I am off to town to get a passport photo taken and secure my spot in the Great White North. Have a good one, and hope to see some of you in the next couple of weeks.

No comments: